Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The dark times.....

“In the dark times 
Will there also be singing? 
Yes, there will also be singing. 
About the dark times.” 
 Bertolt Brecht



This is one of the darkest times of year for many people.  I am struck by the fact that hope and light do not always shine during this dark time for everyone.  Many are missing loved ones, struggling financially, are blinded by the consumerism of the season, or simply missing some much needed sunshine.  It is hard for many, and I am struck by the emptiness that can be found in such a "full" time.

I have no magic cure for this feeling...for the dark times.  But I do know this: there is always light.  We do live in a dark world, but it is not without light.  The first place I look for light is in my Jesus, after all, He is the light of the world. There is also light in others.  Look around.  Watch The lady smiling at you at Chick fil-a.....the cable repair guy who was on time....the friend that you can always call....the lady that bought coffee for the person behind her in the Starbuck's line....the fact that most of the homeless shelters are booked for volunteers this year for Christmas.  

There are lights all around.  There is light in you- have you hidden it? Divided it? Dimmed it in fear? Let it be covered up by other things?

I find myself, during the dark times, looking for a "cause" to certain miseries.  If I am unhappy, it must be someone's fault.  Usually, I find it easiest to point my finger at the closest unsuspecting victim.  Poor Will.
I am not the only one that does this. This happens all the time in marriage.  Our logic: "If I am unhappy, then it must be my husband/wife's fault." The fallacy or error here is: It was not your spouse's job to make you happy....it is not the purpose of marriage. Let me say that again. Happiness and Perfection were not God's purpose for marriage.  It isn't the purpose of your job to make you happy.  It isn't the job of your kids to make you happy. It isn't your friend's responsibility to make you happy.  It isn't your church's job to make you happy. It isn't your parents' job to make you happy......

Starting to feel alone?  Are you asking yourself: "Who is left?......I am unhappy. I am alone."

Good. Then God has you where He wants you....empty and needy and ready to be filled to the brim.  He sure can't fill you to the brim when you have tried to cram all those other things in your tank to try to make yourself happy.  Besides, the bitterness and anger that comes from these things not meeting your happiness needs will drive you to destruction: divorce, alcohol, overeating, emotional paralysis, immobilization, drugs, isolation, depression......you name it.... You know what I am talking about:
 "I fell out of love"
 "Noone values me in my job"
 "My friends don't call me"
"I drink to have a good time"
"We just weren't happy at that church"

So, a Christmassy cheerful challenge........

To stop looking at who or what is making you unhappy and focus lighting up your own life.
1) To look to your Savior- the one that came and died for us and would have done that if it had just been you and you alone on this earth....
2) To look around and appreciate those that are shining their light- to serve them, honor them, thank them for lighting up this dark world.
3) to decide today that your light is your responsibility and not the responsibility of your husband, your boss, your mom, your friend....You are the only one who can find true joy- true happiness- the kind of joy that doesn't disappear when the bills come, or when tragedy strikes, or when your marriage doesn't look like you want it to......the Joy of the Lord....the kind that is in you even in the darkest times....

What are you doing to seek that Joy?.....experience that Joy?.......spread that Joy?


Too harsh?  Not if your life is at stake.......

3 comments:

  1. I think that you are amazing Johnna. I really love reading your blog. You are a gifted writer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You faith is so inspiring. I have been reading your posts for some time now and am in awe of your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was on the April WTE board and have read your blog for a while now. You are a beautiful writer. Haven't seen any posts lately. Hope everything is okay!

    ReplyDelete