Monday, October 24, 2011

Ten Years of Being a Mommy......

My oldest turns 10 today....


Yep...There she is...in all her glory.

She was born at 9:08 this evening 10 years ago after 16 hours of induction.  I was 19, unmarried, and scared.

I love hindsight. I would actually prefer to live in hindsight forever.  It is so much clearer....like the last 2 chapters of a good novel that tie up the loose ends so gracefully.  Sometimes, at the end of a good novel, you get a good hint of what is to come....as sequel- more.  This is where I was the night that Jaden was born.....with a glimpse of hindsight and a good hint at what was to come.

It is pretty easy for me to see back down the road I have walked thus far.  I see the hills and paved places...times where I coasted- no pedaling- hands raised- hair blowing.  I remember the trudging, the potholes, the gaps and canyons between where I was and where I wanted to be.

But mostly, on that road, I see Jaden.  I see the baby born to a baby.  I can see us growing up together...her teaching me, me teaching her.  It is almost impossible for me to remember back before she was here.  She has become as much a part of who I am....yet, she is herself...her own person with her own will, spirit, choices, future.  I am learning, still, to walk beside the baby I have carried so long.  It isn't easy.

I have long stated that God gives us children to teach us what we need to learn- like a giant mirror to reflect the rough edges that need sanding....a hi-liter to indicate the places where we need Him.

I pray that I continue to grow and change and mother....but I also pray that I do it with patience, humility and grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment